Getting yourself sorted in Copenhagen

Getting yourself sorted in Copenhagen

One of the things I mentioned previously that could contribute to the moving blues is the inability to perform simple administration. To aid anyone else in a similar position as me moving to Denmark, here’s the order I would recommend sorting yourself out with the official authorities.

Oh dang! I need my nøglekort!

WARNING: Looks overwhelming at first but don’t rush it. Be prepared that it’s going to take time for each step to be completed. Also, this may not be relevant for everybody. This is just a guide.

  1. Register your residency at the Statsforvaltningen (state administration). You and your employer need to fill out an OD1 application form if you are an existing EU/EEA citizen, which will involve proof of employment (this is the part of the form your employer fills in). You need to bring along a printed and signed version of this form and your passport and a passport photo.
  2. Make sure your name is on the postbox. If this is not possible make sure you add a prefix to your contact address with the name that is currently on the postbox as “c/o flatmate” so the state and other authorities can send you your resident permit and other important documents without them bouncing back.
  3. Once you receive it, take your resident permit and your passport to your local Borgerservice (municipal office of the address you’re registering at) to be issued a CPR number, which is your key to EVERYTHING. You will be given an official letter with your CPR number on it – keep it safe! It’s your proof of it until you receive your Health Insurance Yellow Card – which will have info about your doctor on it!
  4. While you’re at the Borgerservice you should also take the opportunity to be issued a NemID. This is a common login interface that ensures online security for internet banking, accessing your Digital Post, etc. Don’t set up your NemID until you receive your nøglekort ‘key card’ in the post because you will need it!
  5. Another thing to ask while you’re at the Borgerservice is to ask about Danish lessons! It’s helpful to check out which locations you would like to take your lessons first so you can ask the Borgerservice to refer you to them. Then you wait until you get a call or a letter in the post!
  6. While you’re waiting to set up your NemID, you should set up your information about health insurance country online.
  7. With your resident permit and CPR letter your employer can now draft an employment contract for you.
  8. To make sure you are paid correctly – i.e. at the correct pay grade and at the correct tax bracket, your work may require you to fill in an application for assessment of foreign qualifications. (To aid the process, you might be asked to contact your previous post-Masters level supervisors and employers or HR department(s) to write a brief ‘verification of employment letter’ for you that you can forward onto your new HR department.) Your employer may also help you fill out an personal tax and advance tax assessment so that you can be issued your Skattepersonnummer ‘personal tax number’ and eSkattekort ‘eTax card’. For this form you will need your employers CVR number, contact person details and address. You will then receive these information in 1-2 weeks. Ask someone at your HR department to check any letters you receive from SKAT because they’re complicated and it’s important that you pay the right amount of tax! It’s going to be my second pay day and I still haven’t got my tax right!
  9. You can now open a bank account! Take you passport, your official CPR number letter (or your yellow card if you’ve received it) and a copy of your contract to your chosen bank. Once set up they will send out your bank card and your pin code by post. You may want to inform your employers of your account number so they can set up the payment of your salary. Use internet banking by logging on with your NemID!

I think that’s pretty much it. You now have all the essentials to be able to set up things like a Rejsekort electronic travel card, mobile sim card, etc, which are things I still need to sort out!

I’d like to acknowledge the PAs of my previous boss and current boss for helping me with all the important letters and forms!


4 thoughts on “Getting yourself sorted in Copenhagen

  1. Hi, really enjoyed this article, and thank you for the tips! Me and my girlfriend are moving to Copenhagen, and it’s not easy to discern which order to do things in. It helps to see how someone else went about it. I have a couple of questions. Do you NEED to have an employer to register your residency through the state administration? i.e. you need someone, an organisation, or an institution to vouch for you? Or can you register without an employer, but then need to be employed and pay taxes to get the CPR? I get the general gist, but it’s hard to get the nitty gritty of how you go about getting a registration/CPR…

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s